NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA SLIP AND FALL INJURY LAWYERS
Thousands of people are injured in slip and fall accidents in Pennsylvania every year. In many instances these accidents are the result of a poorly maintained property. The injured victim may be entitled to compensation through a premises liability claim. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, OHDP Law attorneys can evaluate your claim and help you determine if you have cause to file suit.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can cause traumatic injuries such as:
Brain Injuries / TBI
Many victims of a slip & fall accident sustain head injuries. A slip or trip and fall accident often comes unexpectedly, and victims are not able to react and catch themselves in time before falling. When falling backward, many people are not able to control a violent snap backward and will often hit their head. These accidents often result in concussions and can sometimes lead to prolonged dizziness, brain swelling, being left unconscious, and death.
Spinal Cord Injuries
For victims who are age 65 and over, a spinal cord or back injury is a commonly sustained in a slip and fall accident. In fact, slips and falls are the most common cause of spinal injury to this age group nationwide. Additionally, nearly 25% of the new spinal cord injuries that occur each year are the result of a slip/trip and fall accident.
When a person falls, they often try and break their fall by suddenly bracing themselves. When this happens, a person’s body weight landing on one arm or leg can cause a bone to break. These breaks can be slight hairline fractures that require casts and slight rehabilitation, while others can be more serious like compound fractures that require surgical intervention. Senior citizens run a major risk of breaking hips, shoulders and injuring their head during a slip and fall accident.
A fall can cause many different external injuries, but it can also cause various internal injuries as well. Ruptured organs, punctured lungs, and brain damage can all be a result of a slip and fall accident. These injuries are very serious, can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
A fall can be a traumatic experience. Whether someone slips and falls down an entire staircase or falls on the job site from a platform, the accident can cause them to have painful memories, flashbacks, and PTSD.
There are many other injuries that you may sustain during a slip and fall accident. If you happen to be injured after tripping or slipping and falling, get medical attention immediately. Once you are treated, contact the experienced slip and fall lawyers at OHDP Law so we can work to get you compensation.
What To Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are usually minor, but they can end up causing severe injury and lifelong trauma. It is important to know what the appropriate steps are to take after a slip and fall accident in Pennsylvania because they could be vital to success in a slip and fall claim.
Immediately After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Get medical attention. Many slip and fall accidents cause bumps and bruises. However, broken bones, head injuries, and spinal injuries are also common results of slip and fall accidents in Pennsylvania. Immediately after a slip and fall accident, you should do your best to seek medical attention. This will allow you to be treated for any immediate pain and suffering, as well as enable you to gather a written record of any injuries that you may have acquired in your accident. While you may not have any immediate injuries, some trauma may take time to develop, and it is smart to document any symptoms of further injury for success in your case.
- Examine the area in which you fell. All slip and fall accidents happen for a reason. It is important that you look around and find the cause of your fall. Common causes of falls include snow, ice, broken or cracked walkways, and spills. Once you know the source of your fall, do your best to document how your fall occurred, as this will be important to present in court if necessary.
- Look for witnesses. One thing that will help your case is someone who watched your accident occur. If someone witnessed your accident, write down all of their information as they will be valuable in court if there is a dispute in your claim brought forward by the property owner. If someone wasn’t there to witness your fall, try and find someone to show them the conditions that caused your injuries. If someone else can attest to the conditions in which you fell, this will be valuable to your case in court as well.
- Take photos of conditions. If you are able, take photos of the conditions that caused you to fall. If you are unable to due to your injuries, ask someone to take them for you. It is important to take photos of the scene before the conditions change. If you do not take photos of the conditions that caused your accident, you may be leaving your story up to interpretation in court making your case harder to defend.
Liability for Slip, Trip and Fall Accidents
To establish liability in your injury claim, a premises liability lawyer will need to prove your accident was caused by a breach of duty on the part of those responsible for the property. This may include instances such as:
- Unsafe conditions were caused by the owner or an employee
- The owner or an employee knew about the unsafe conditions and did nothing to correct them
- The owner or an employee should have known about the unsafe conditions
Establishing liability in these cases can be extremely difficult and will require the assistance of an experienced premises liability attorney. OHDP Law has years of experience helping victims of slip and fall accidents establish liability and get the full compensation they deserve.
Compensation for Slip and Fall Injuries
The sort of compensation you may be entitled to after a slip and fall accident depends on the circumstances of your case. After a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to general compensatory damages and special compensatory damages.
General Damages in a Slip and Fall Accident
This type of compensation serves to cover an injured person for damages that are non-monetary. These can include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of quality of life
Special Compensatory Damages in a Slip and Fall Accident
These damages are awarded in cases where a slip and fall accident causes the victim to have substantial expenses due to their injuries. The goal of these damages is to ensure that the victim restores their financial situation back to where it was before their accident. These damages include:
- Medical bills
- Attorney fees
- Ambulance rides
- Surgical costs
- Cost of future medical services
- Household and vehicle modifications
In the end, there are many factors that determine a slip and fall accident in Pennsylvania. However, negligence and liability are the two biggest factors in determining compensation for your case.
Free Case Review From An Experienced Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer
Call us today at (570) 348-3711 to see how we can help you achieve maximum recovery for your slip and fall injuries. Remember, there is no risk to you. You will not be charged any money unless we’re able to win your case. Our attorneys guarantee that you will be constantly informed on the status of your case, and all of your questions and concerns will be addressed in a timely fashion.
If you are looking for a quality, compassionate, experienced and hard-working attorney, give OHDP Law a call. Please call us at (570) 348-3711, or use contact form to request free case evaluation today.